Hy-Vee expands salad recall
Additional salads pulled from shelves
Hy-Vee Inc., based in West Des Moines, Iowa, is recalling an additional 12 salads across its eight-state region due to the potential they may be contaminated with cyclospora.
The potential for contamination was brought to Hy-Vee’s attention when Fresh Express — which manufactures the product — announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control Prevention expanded its investigation of an outbreak of cyclospora in the upper Midwest section of the United States.
The 12 salads are in addition to the 12-ounce Hy-Vee Bagged Garden Salad product that Hy-Vee pulled last week after initial notification of the investigation. Hy-Vee now has 13 private label bagged salad products (all expiration dates) that are being recalled as a result.
The products were distributed to Hy-Vee grocery stores across its eight-state region of Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
The 13 products that have been recalled are:
• Hy-Vee Southwest Chopped Salad Kit, 13.4 ounces
• Hy-Vee Shredded Iceberg, 8 ounces
• Hy-Vee Veggie Deluxe, 12 ounces
• Hy-Vee Greener Supreme Blend, 12 ounces
• Hy-Vee American Blend Salad, 12 ounces
• Hy-Vee Italian Blend Salad, 1o ounces
• Hy-Vee Coleslaw Mix, 16 ounces
• Hy-Vee Romaine Garden Salad, 16 ounces
• Hy-Vee Asian Chopped Salad, 16 ouncces
• Hy-Vee Chopped Summer Salad Kit, 13.7 ounces
• Hy-Vee Chipotle Cheddar Chopped Kit, 11.4 ounces
• Hy-Vee Garden Salad, 12 ounces
• Hy-Vee Avocado Ranch chopped kit, 12.8 ounces
Customers who purchased any of these products should discard them or return them to their local Hy-Vee store for a full refund.
Symptoms of cyclosporiasis begin an average of seven days after ingestion of cyclospora. Symptoms of cyclosporiasis may include: watery diarrhea (most common), loss of appetite, weight loss, cramping, bloating, increased gas, nausea, fatigue, vomiting and low-grade fever. If not treated, symptoms can persist for several weeks to a month or more. People who are in poor health or who have weakened immune systems may be at higher risk for severe or prolonged illness.
Consumers with questions may contact Hy-Vee customer care representatives 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-772-4098.
For more information, visit the FDA’s website at www.fda.gov.